by Andrew R. Coggan, PhD
Intensity Factor (IF)™ is simply the ratio of
the normalized power to your threshold power. Typical IF values for various
training sessions or races are as follows:
- Less than 0.75 recovery rides.
- 0.75-0.85 endurance-paced training
- 0.85-0.95 tempo rides, aerobic and
anaerobic interval workouts (work and rest periods combined), longer
(<2.5 h) road races.
- 0.95-1.05 lactate threshold intervals
(work period only), shorter (<2.5 h) road races, criteriums, circuit
races, longer (e.g., 40 km) TTs.
- 1.05-1.15 shorter (e.g., 15 km) TTs,
track points race.
- Greater than 1.15 prologue TT, track
pursuit, track miss-and-out.
Normalize Power (NP)™, Intensity Factor (IF)™,
and Training Stress Score (TSS)™ are all registered trademarks of